The Carter Harris Physical Plant contains part of Facilities Services.
The plant’s shop provides employees with areas to perform plumbing, painting, and electrical work. The Physical Plant is still a building for maintenance operations that keep the University’s classrooms, offices, and residence halls in good repair.
The Carter Harris Physical Plant was built in 1964 and was named after Carter Harris, a custodian at the University for 48 years. Born in 1856, the son of a slave and her white owner, Harris was a driven student and put himself through school by trading labor for education.